Breastfeeding can be very fulfilling and at the same time exhausting. Breastfeeding has a significant impact on the present and future health and well-being of your baby because this is a critical period of growth, it also offers the chance to bond with baby and this is why breastfeeding us strongly encouraged. Here are a few tips to help in breastfeeding.
1) proper positioning is very important. Sit upright with your legs elevated by using a stool or with the use of nursing pillows.
2) When feeding in the sitting-up position your back should be upright and at a right angle to your lap.
3) The baby should come to the breast not the breast to the baby I.e the baby is coming up to your breast at the same angle as your breast is coming down to him, this prevents you straining your back.
4) Early feeding is important contributes to the success of breastfeeding but 1st feed should depend on the needs of the baby.
5) The more you breastfeed the better you get, remember practice makes perfect.
6) Breastfeeding is learned not an instinct, so don’t feel bad the first time if you don’t get it right.
7) The baby feeds from the breast not the nipple , hence, ensure the mouth covers the whole nipple and areola.
8) Ensure latching is done appropriately to avoid sore nipples or cracked nipples.
9) Appropriate latching determines the quality and quantity of milk your baby gets. The baby would require frequent feedings to get sufficient milk if latching is not appropriately done.
10) Some mothers feel uncomfortable about breastfeeding because they are modest or may feel embarrassed breastfeeding in public, this should not stop you from breastfeeding you can use nursing covers, with nursing covers you get to be modest and breastfeed.
11) You can break feeds by putting a finger into a corner of the baby’s mouth.
12) If you are leaking milk you can use nursing pads inside your bra(which wet pads should be changed frequently) or you can go for printed tops to camouflage small leaks.
13) Did you know you can condition your nipples? This can be done by expressing a few drops of milk after feeding, massage it gently into the skin of the nipple and areola and allow to air-dry.
14) breastfeeding can be stressful. Take advantage of baby’s sleep time to catch up on sleep. You could also put baby in side-lying position to breastfeed and you can catch some sleep in the process.
15) Breastfeeding should not hurt, if you experience any pain on your nipples or soreness see your midwife.
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.