How to store breastmilk
Breast milk can be stored in various ways and this is especially useful for the mums that have to return to work , if you however choose to refrigerate your breast milk high level of hygiene should be maintained.
- Sterilized bottles, or small bowls preferably with covers go for plastic bottles or metallic bowls, glass can break while refrigerating or freezing.
- Breast pump (hand expression can also be done).
How to store breast milk:
- It can be stored in a refrigerator at degree Celsius or colder(check your refrigerator temperature regulator and ensure it’s at four or less), ensure to keep at the back of the refrigerator where it is coldest and keep away from raw foods, egg or meat and this can be stored for up to five days.
- It can be kept in refrigerator’s freezer compartment for up two weeks .
- It can also be kept in a freezer at minus 18 degree Celsius or colder for up to six months.
Simple rules to storing breast milk:
- Use sterilized containers always.
- Ensure you wash your hands properly before expressing breast milk for storage this reduces the likelihood for bacterial contamination.
- If you use breast pump ensure the breast pump parts are thoroughly washed with hot soapy water and rinsed before sterilization.
- Label and date containers and bottles and use the oldest ones first(paper tapes can be used for labeling and dating).
- Breast milk can be warmed by putting in a bowl of warm water or putting under running warm water, it should be kept in the refrigerator a day before to thaw frozen milk and then it can be warmed when ready to feed.
- Once breast milk has been thawed it should not be refrozen, thawed milk should be discarded is not used within 24 hours of thawing.
- Don’t heat frozen milk quickly in the microwave or over a stove some parts maybe too hot and another cold and it can affect the antibodies in the breast milk.
- Fresh breast milk can be added to already refrigerated or frozen breast milk as long as it was expressed that same day.
- When adding fresh breast milk to already frozen milk thoroughly cool in the refrigerator before adding , as warm breast milk can thaw the already frozen breast milk.
- Store milk in refrigerator as soon as it is expressed, it spoils faster if kept at room temperature before storing.
I am so sorry, have not been posting regularly been very busy for the last two months.